Opinion of Kingman's Performance

Saturday, April 20, 2013

Pessimism Reigns

I don't know if it was the two off days of reflection combined with the four game losing streak.  Maybe it was the doldrums of getting hammered by the lowly San Diego Padres at home for three games, (only to see them return to form against the Giants last night).  Whatever it was, my opinion of this Dodger team has soured significantly.  I addressed that in a guest post at ThinkBlueLA.com this morning.  LINKED HERE


Chris Capuano departs his only start in 2013 with a calf injury.  Another starter on the D.L. (photo by Gary A. Vasquez/USA Today Sports)

By no means have I given up on this team.  I hope I'm wrong.  I certainly root for them just as hard as ever, but there comes a time that optimism is replaced by realism.  There are 147 games to be played, but save some drastic roster moves (which I can't see coming right now), I think I've seen enough of this offense to know there are some serious problems.  It isn't only the 15 games to start the season that have changed my lofty expectations for this team.  Combine it to the September swoon of last year and a lackluster spring training, that was an extremely long spring training schedule. 

If the pitching can keep this club in the race up to the trade deadline, with the purse strings of ownership, then there is hope.  But staying close may not be realistic with the losses of Greinke and Capuano plus the insertion of Lilly into the starting staff.  Winning the division this year doesn't look like it'll happen.  We're probably in for a long, bumpy ride in 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment