Opinion of Kingman's Performance

Saturday, March 5, 2011

Fresh Dodger Tunes

With creative juices flowing, here is my attempt at being a lyricist.  Bernie Taupin I'm not, but I don't think these are too bad, and these tunes are appropriate for the 2011 Dodger Season.  I'll start off with my ode to missing reliever, Ronald Belisario.

To be sung to the tune of Harry Belafonte’s (“Day-O”): Banana Boat song 

New Title: Beli Goat Song
Bel-i, Sari-o
Season come an no wan’ leave home
Beli, me say sar, me say sar, me say sar-io
Season come an no wan’ leave home
Train all day in de off-season
Play de league in de winter home
Oh, come, Mister consul-man, need a working visa,
Season come and me wanna play ball.
He say come, Mister consul-man, grant me working visa
Season come and me wanna play ball 

An it’s six day, seven day, eight day past report date
Season come and me wanna play ball,
Nine day, ten day, eleven day fine
Season come an me wanna pitch ball
Bel-li, me say Sar-io
Season come and me wan’ leave home
Beli, me say Sar-io
Season come and restricted list come
Beli-me say sar, me say sar, me say sar, me say sar
(Season come and me wan’ leave home)
Beli, me say, sario
(Season come and me wan’ leave home)

----end------

Here's a tribute to the Los Angeles Dodger outfield defense (minus Tony Gwynn Jr.), to be sung To the Tune of: The Theme From the Addams Family.

New Title: The Dodger Outfield D

da da da dum (snap, snap) 
da da da dum (snap, snap) 
da da da dum, da da da dum, da da da dum (snap, snap)  
It’s creepy and it’s porous, 
It certainly won’t bore us,
Let’s all join in the chorus (for)
The Dodger outfield D 
Their range is quite obscene
For fans that come to see 'em 
They’re UZR’s a scream 
The Dodger outfield D 
da da da dum (snap, snap) misjudged fly
da da da dum (snap, snap) off Eithier’s thigh
da da da dum, da da da dum, da da da dum (snap, snap)  nice try!

So get a Dodger snuggie shawl on 
Cover your eyes Gibbons will fall down
Kemp overthrows the cut off mahon 
The Dodger Outfield D (snap, snap)
---end---

Okay, I know I was digging deep with that "cutoff mahan," term, but it was a "must rhyme" stanza.  What can I say?

This last entry was almost too easy and, in my opinion, could use a few more verses because there is much more story to tell.  I couldn't resist the Jed-Ned close proximity in names.  Enjoy!





Sung to the Tune of: The Ballad of Jed Clampett, Theme from the Beverly Hillbillies
New Title: The Ballad of Ned and Frank

Come and listen to a story about a man named Ned 
A Cub press man that barely kept his fam’ly fed, 
Then one day he was readin’ in the news, 
That Frankie McCourt was out givin’ interviews. 
GM job, tinsel town, job with company car. 
Well the first thing you know ol Ned’s a millionaire, 
Sabean said, “Shut his cell phone off over there!" 
Ned said "Jints are now the en’my cuz LA’s da place ta be" 
So he loaded up his stuff an’ moved to Chavez Ravine. 
Hills, there is. Real baseball Stadium with movie stars. 
(Instrumental interlude with a lot of banjos)
(5 years later)
Well now its time to say good by to Ned and all his kin. 
Schmidt, Andruw, and Pierre thank him fer’ kindly droppin’ in. 
We’re spectin’ that a change occurs with Dodger owner Frankie
To have a heapin helpin of a fed’ral bankruptcy 

Foreclosed houses, missed payrolls, wife takes everything. 
Y'all come back now, y'hear?.
---end---


No comments:

Post a Comment